How to change Netgear Router Password
Routerlogin.net & Netgear Router Setup
A lot of people faced trouble while logging in to their routers and couldn’t find the IP address of their routers, so Netgear came up with a simple solution to this problem. They now ship their routers preconfigured to www.routerlogin.net. This has made it easier for the users to log in to their routers and they don’t have to remember the default IP addresses for their routers anymore. The users can just simply log in to www.routerlogin.net and access the home page and go on to configure their routers as they please through the Smart Wizard app. The Smart Wizard app has a variety of features that lets the users control and manage their network and configure it themselves so that they can optimize it suitable to their needs. From Guest Network to Parental Control, users can now secure their network themselves.
What is www.routerlogin.net?
The website www.routerlogin.net is the login page for most of the Netgear router setup which lets the users access the advanced settings of the router and lets them secure their network. The user first has to log in to the router login page so that the user can gain access to the advanced settings of their router. After logging in to the router, the user can access all the advanced features such as Guest Network, Parental Control, Security and much more. The user can also check for the firmware updates from the Smart Wizard app. The Smart Wizard app lets the user access the advanced features the router has to offer so that the user can personalize their network according to their needs. The Netgear Genie app lets the users set up Guest Network for limited access, Parental Controls lets the users restrict access of inappropriate content on their network, and the users can update or check for updates via the Netgear Genie app as well.
Netgear wifi Router r7500
Starting with your Netgear Router
Netgear is one of the best networking Hardware Company in the market. They ship their routers preconfigured to use www.routerlogin.net straight out of the box. No longer do the users have to remember the default IP addresses for their routers. This has made it really easy for the users to log in to their routers. The Netgear router first has to be installed and setup before the user can start using the Wi-Fi on their routers. The users can log in to their routers using the www.routerlogin.net to gain access to the features of their router. The users can login to their router by typing in the default username and default password for the first time. The username and password can be changed later if needed.
Here, we will show you the steps necessary to login to the routers using www.routerlogin.net, setup the router, reset the router, change the username and password and update the firmware as well.
How to login to the Netgear Router for the first time
- Remove all the cables from your modem and your router.
- Plug in the power adaptor for your modem and the router. Now, connect the router to the WAN port of your modem using an Ethernet cable.
- Plug in the computer to any of the LAN ports of the router.
- Now, launch a web browser of your choice on the computer connected to the router and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar.
- You will be prompted to type in the default username and password for your router. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”. The username and password are both case sensitive.
In case the default username and password don’t work, then that means the user has changed the password and set up a personalized password before. In that case, enter the personalized password.
If the personalized password doesn’t work either, then a factory reset will be required.
Now, you will be logged in to your router.
How to setup the Netgear router
To configure your Netgear router through the Smart Wizard app, follow these steps:
- Connect your modem to the WAN port of your router using an Ethernet cable. Now, connect your computer to any of the LAN ports of the router using an Ethernet cable.
- Switch the router, computer and the modem off and then on again so that all the devices can reboot.
- Now, open any web browser of your choice on your computer and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar.
- You will be prompted to enter the username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”. The username and password are both case sensitive.
If the default username and password aren’t working, try typing any other personalized passwords that you might have set before. If the personalized passwords don’t work either, then a factory reset will be required.
- Click the Setup Wizard.
- The Setup Wizard will try to detect the type of internet connection that you have. For all cable connections, the Setup Wizard detects the connection as Dynamic IP. Click Yes and then click Next.
- Click Next to save the settings.
Your Netgear router will now be setup and ready to use.
How to reset your Netgear Router
There are instances where a factory reset is required in order to access the router. The user may have either lost or forgotten the personalized password. Here are the steps to reset the Netgear router:
- Locate the Reset button on the back of the router. It may be labeled as Reset or Restore Factory Settings.
- Using a paper clip or something similar, press the rest button and hold it for ten seconds.
- After holding the reset button for ten seconds, release it. The lights will start flashing. Once the power light is stable and is sold green in color, your router will be reset.
Do not interrupt the reset process as it may damage your router and may even render it useless.
How to change the username and password for your Netgear Router
- Launch a web browser of your choice and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar.
- You will be prompted to enter the default username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”.
The username and password are both case sensitive.
- Click OK. A basic home page will display.
- Select Wireless. You will see an SSID (Name) field. Here, you can type in the new username for your network.
- In the Password (Network Key) field, you can choose to set up the new password for your network.
- Click Apply to save the changes.
Your new username and password will now be set. You can go on to login to your wireless network using your devices by logging in with the new username and password.
How to update the Netgear router’s firmware
Updating the router’s firmware is a very crucial step in keeping the router up to date. Netgear releases firmware updates regularly to keep the users satisfied and to keep the router up to date with the latest technology in the market. There are new media devices that are being launched almost every day, so in order for your router to stay compatible with the new media devices, Netgear release the firmware updates so that you don’t have to go around buying new routers every now and then . A firmware update fixes the bugs in the router and may also add new features to the router. It also enhances the overall performance of the router and provides speed boosts. One of the main things it provides is the security update because all the sensitive information passes through the router such as the private information of the user, their banking details, emails and the passwords and more. So it is very important to keep the firmware updated.
Here are some steps to update the firmware:
- Download the latest firmware for your router from the NETGEAR Download Center and save it to the desired location.
- Now, using a computer that is connected to the router through an Ethernet cable, launch a web browser of your choice.
It is advised that you perform the update on a computer connected via an Ethernet cable. A wireless firmware update might corrupt the router and render it useless.
- Type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar of the web browser and hit enter.
- You will be prompted to enter the default username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”. The default username and password are both case sensitive.
- Select Administration under the ADVANCED tab.
- Click the Router Update or Firmware Update option.
- Click Choose File or Browse option.
- Locate the previously downloaded file and then click on Open. Click on Update.
Do not interrupt the update process as it may corrupt the router. After the firmware is uploaded and installed, the router will reboot itself. Wait for the router to reboot, after it has finished rebooting, you can start using your internet.
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) answered:
- How do I login to my Netgear Router?
You can login to your Netgear Router by going to www.routerlogin.net and entering the default username and password.
- How do I know if my router’s firmware is out of date?
Your Smart Wizard app will notify you when you access it. Alternatively, you can check for your firmware update manually as well.
- I forgot my password for my router. What should I do?
You can reset your Netgear router. After resetting, you can access the login page via www.routerlogin.net and enter the default username and password.
- How can I restrict inappropriate content on my home network?
You can restrict access of certain websites and inappropriate content through the Parental Control feature in the Smart Wizard app.
- If I reset the router, will it reset the rest of my settings too?
Yes, resetting the router will reset all your personalized settings as well.
- Can I download the firmware update manually?
Yes, you can download and update the firmware update manually.
- Is it safe to download any Netgear updates from third party websites?
No, it is neither safe nor recommended to download any Netgear updates from any third party website.
- Can I setup my Netgear router through a smart phone?
Yes, you can setup your Netgear router wirelessly.
- What is the default username and password for Netgear?
The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”.
- Can I leave my Netgear router on or do I have to switch it off at some point?
You can leave your router on for as long as you wish.